Sunday 16 August 2009

Death

Death is all over the news everyday. People thrive on stories of disaster and tragedy, like its some kind of sick entertainment. In fact I think we are almost immune to feeling emotion in response to these terrible stories because bad news is all we hear.
Madelynne Butcher, 18, died after contracting the H1N1 virus last Thursday. Initally I was really worried about swine flu, but after friends and family got it and recovered from it I began to assume that all the massive fluster about it being deadly was just nonsense. I went to the same school as Madelynne, and she was a friend of a friend. To see a familiar face pop up on my TV screen and to simultaneously hear the words "died from swine flu" made me catch my breath. It made me realise that these horrible things we hear about everyday actually break peoples lives apart, where as to the moajority they might aswell be fairytales of a far away land.

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting point CV! We seem obsessed with death, which certainly does seem strange when you think about it, but the point is: we don't think about it!

    ReplyDelete